In nursing, I have heard so many devastating stories, but Sabrina’s story is one of the most remarkable. I have no imagination to encompass the tragedy of a 13 year old girl death from anaphylaxis. It is beyond my emotions to read that Sabrina’s mother was unable to save her own child in spite of all her safety precautions, but she has made difference for other allergic children across Canada and the USA.
Kim, you are very right, nothing is more crucial for life threating allergies as immediate injection of epinephrine. Sabrina’s death could be preventable.
For now I am very proud of Sabrina’s mother; she has incarnated her grief into a mission “Sabrina’s Law”.
Why don’t you share this remarkable story with everyone on “Dear Kim”? Many of us will be encounter with similar situations and all of us should know how important………
T created the following case for a CELBANPrep Writing Assignment. She submitted it for her CELBANPrep Writing Tutoring. Over the past five years I have had many people write many cases about many incidents and illnesses, and T was the first to write about a patient in anaphylactic shock. Here is her case and my comment that inspired T to write the message above.
- a 53 years old patient was found on the floor
- complained of difficulty breath after breakfast
- assisted into comfortable position
- VS collected: blood pressure was 94/56 mmHg, respirations were 40 breath/min, pulse oximetry was 90%.
- Swelling of the face, neck
- Patient stated his allergy to peanuts
- Doctor notified. The orders carried out.
- VS went back to his normal base line readings. Breathing normalized. Swelling disappeared.
I have worked on a research project with children and teens with severe allergies, many to peanuts. It was amazing working with these kids who cope with life threatening allergies. I am glad that you are aware of this condition and are writing about it. You did not mention it, so I will share what I know. The typical intervention involved an injection of epinephrin. Often epinephrin is often self administered with an epi-pen or twin-jet. There are cases where the self injection is not enough and a person needs another dose once at the hospital. Usually it is administered immediately, when a person has been diagnosed with severe or life threatening allergies: often noted on a medical alert bracelet.
If a nurse did the assessment as you have here, the patient could die before the assessment is complete.
Last Wednesday I was speaking with Sara Shannon. She is the mother of Sabrina Shannon. Sara advocated for a law to be passed to protect children from dying from life threatening allergies at school after her daughter did before she could get her epi-pen, which was in her locker. It can happen that fast!
Your case is great.
Thank you for your suggestion. I would have never thought about posting it on Dear Kim. You may have saved many lives, informing and educating many others. I so appreciate your comment, and the value you place on Dear Kim. It means a lot to me that you see my blog as valuable communication tool.
T is right. There are many topics for IENs to discover about the laws that inform policies both in schools and ethics in hospital settings. In researching the history you will have a deeper level of learning. I am certain T will always remember Sabrina and Sara Shannon. Please leave comments, and I will share the link with Sara Shannon so that she know there are Immigrant Nurses learning about her daughter, her cause and her desire to educate people. I found this, from the province of Manitoba: http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/publichealth/cdc/protocol/anaphylactic.pdf
Research the policies in your province.
BTW this is the kind of material you need to be reading to prepare for CELBAN Reading.