The changes to the CELBAN, now that there is an online Computer Based Test, the CBT, have created ripples going outward.
- Now that the CELBAN is available online…
- Now that the CELBAN is available internationally…
- Now that you are able to take the CELBAN more than 3 times…
Changes are happening at CELBANPrep as well. All 400 posts on Dear Kim are being updated. While updating posts like:
- Do I take the CELBAN before NNAS?
- Should I take the CELBAN or the IELTS?
- Where do I start with CELBANPrep?
- How much does it cost?
I have also been updating all the posts about CELBAN online courses, CELBAN online classes and CELBAN material.
But what I realized, is that although so many people come to Dear Kim to learn about the CELBAN and CELBAN preparation, only one IEN wrote me from the US, asking me about the LPN process. And, only one wrote to me asking how to prepare for the CELBAN from the UK.
So, despite the 400 articles, none answer questions for people located in the USA! Only one was written for IENs in the UK! I am about to change that!
Check this out!
Since the inception of Dear Kim, in 2012, there have been over a quarter of a million views of my blog. 326, 500 views in Canada alone! Astounding.
And in that time, 12 000 views have originated in the United States.
- almost 1000 views in the last year
- 250 in 2021,
- 150 in the last 90 days.
Not only that, 1500 views originated in the UK!
What is remarkable to me is that because Dear Kim has been both organic and responsive (IENs send messages to me and I write the reply, and post them here) I have not gone into the stats, nor have I specifically created a list of topics to write about and dates to publish them.
With the announcement of the CELBAN being available online, I was just updating the posts about CELBAN Preparation also being available online. (I had to update the posts I wrote back in 2018.)
- CELBAN Preparation in the 🇬🇧 UK, 🇮🇪 Ireland, and internationally
- 3G* CELBAN Preparation in 🇮🇳 India and Internationally
- CELBANPrep Available in Japan 🇯🇵 and 100 Countries!!!
- CELBAN Preparation in 🇸🇬 Singapore, 🇭🇰 Hong Kong, SAR and Internationally
- 300 – CELBAN Preparation in Dubai 🇦🇪 UAE, 🇶🇦 Qatar, 🇸🇦 Saudi Arabia and Internationally
And that was when I realized I didn’t have a post for the US!
While the information in those links is valuable for you, in the US, and while the https://dear-kim.com/tag/celban-preparation-internationally/ tag is also helpful: there is more specific information for people preparing for the CELBAN in the United States of America and other English speaking nations.
Internationally Educated Nurses in the USA, UK and Australia
There is alot to be said about IENs in the USA because there is so much variation. And the education system in Canada is very much a learner-centered system. So, that means that there isn’t just one answer for everyone in the US or Australia and the UK for that matter.
Just because you are in an English speaking country does not mean that you do not have to go through the process created in Canada for Internationally Educated Nurses.
There is a sorting out process, when it comes to your education.
Where you educated in the medical field in the US? (the UK? Australia?)
If you were educated in the medical field in the US (the UK or Austrailia) the process is different for you as compared to the nurses who are living in the US (the UK or Austrailia) but have been educated in the Philippines, India or elsewhere.
That is important to know. Because the answer to this question determines whether or not you have to take the English proficiency exam: either the CELBAN or the IELTS.
- I have a friend who is a Labour and Delivery Nurse, living here in Canada. She is from Texas. She had to go through the entire IEN process, but she was not required to take the English exam.
- I was teaching a nurse, who lived in the US, who told me that even though she had passed the NCLEX, and was an RN, she still had to provide the results from her English proficiency exam.
- I have been teaching an IEN that was born in Canada, but her family left when she was 5 years old. She became an LPN in South America, and returned to Canada as an Adult. She is being required to provide the results from her English proficiency exam.
It is the National Nursing Assessment Services that determines whether or not you need to take the CELBAN or IELTS as an English test.
Are you a Registered Nurse or Licensed Nurse?
This is another discerning question.
If you are an RN or LPN practicing in the US (the UK or Australia) your process in applying for a license in Canada will be different as compared to an Internationally Educated Nurse from say India or the Philippines who like many IENs in Canada have not completed the licensure process, and are working as Health Care aids or some other unlicenced profession or field.
When should I apply for NNAS?
That is why, for IENs from the US, the answer to this question is, “It depends.”
- It depends on where your medical training occured.
- It depends on where you are licenced to practice as a nurse.
- It depends on where you were born.
If you were both born and educated and licenced in an English speaking nation (the US, the UK, Australia) then the English proficiency exam may not be required. It is only when you apply to NNAS that you will discover if you, as an individual, are required to take an English exam.
To you I would say, apply to NNAS first to discover your steps and proceedure.
- if you were educated and licenced outside of the US, the UK or Australia….
- if you do not have a licence to practice medicine in the US, the UK or Austalia….
Take the CELBAN first. Get your score. Find out whether or not you can get the required score. Get your report with the feedback for speaking and writing. And if necessary, develop your skills so that you can get the required score.
This will save you time, money, and a great deal of stress.
How can I prepare for the CELBAN while in the US of A?
That is where CELBANPrep comes in. Once you have determined or discovered that you have to provide English test results, and have decided to explore the CELBAN, there are several options.
First, read the posts written to people living in other countries outside of Canada. (The post for IENs in Japan is clearly laid out.)
Then, decide what you are looking for, and how much are you willing to spend? Do you want:
- CELBAN reviewers: are the least expensive option. This includes e-books, websites, blog posts, and social media updates that expose you to the format and structure – expectations – of the CELBAN.
- CELBAN online courses: are a little more expensive. Textbooks, workbooks, lesson plans, are available through CELBANPrep Publishing and Amazon. The CELBAN videos that accompany the lessons are available through CELBANPrep University.
- CELBAN online classes: this is the most expensive option, but also the option that will get you the best results. These are small groups that get together on a regular basis to practice skills taught during the online courses.
- CELBAN material: quizzes, handouts, assigments to practice skills required to pass the CELBAN are provided within the CELBAN online courses and CELBAN online classes.
- CELBAN intensives: are online CELBAN courses, classes and material that helps people to focus on what is slowing them down, standing in their way, and stopping them from passing the exam.They are not a replacement for the courses and classes but are supplementary and complementary.
It took time, but now CELBANPrep University has the most extensive library of resouces available to you, at various price points, to assist you in preparing for the CELBAN no matter where you are in the world and how much you can afford at this time.
Tell me about the CELBAN courses?
There are three main courses available through CELBANPrep Publishing:
- CELBANPrep Writing Level 1 (Task 1 & 2), and
- CELBANPrep Speaking.
There is also a Grammar Essentials Intensive course for each of the following:
- Nouns & Articles,
- Verbs & Verbals,
- Agreement Errors (You must complete Volumes 1 and 2 first), and
- Advanced Punctuation and Sentence Structure.
These textbooks are available at:
- CELBAN Preparation Books in Australia: Amazon.com.au,
- CELBAN Preparation Books in the UK: Amazon.co.uk and
- CELBAN Preparation Books in the US: Amazon.com.
At the end of the day
At the end of the day, that is why it was both important and necessary to address the needs of Internationally Educated Nurses residing in the US (the UK and Australia). Being English speaking nations, the process for you as an IEN is different.
And just because you are living in an English speaking nation does not mean that you get to skip the IEN process.
The process for every IEN, because Canada is so student-centred, is different. It is the same with patient-centred care in the hospitals. The more you understand the significance of student-centred learning the better you understand the Canadian education and medical systems, the better you understand the CELBAN.
I hope this article helps you, your friends, and your family members living cross the US, in the UK, and/or in Australia have a better understanding of the process of becoming a nurse in Canada, and how to prepare for the CELBAN through CELBANPrep.