I am good. actually i performed exam one time, and i got scores as below:
Wow! It has been so long since I have heard from you!
You can see your weaknesses, right? (The space besides listening is blank.) Looks like you need help with both speaking and writing… but your reading is excellent! We need to turn your reading into practice for speaking and writing!
About your confusion, let us explore it a little bit.
- Did you get a coach to help you to prepare for the exam the first time, or did you do it by yourself?
- Did it work?
- How much motivation have you had to study by yourself?
- When you are studying, do you know what you are doing wrong? Do you know what you need to improve? Do you have the skills and resources required?
- What happens when you say, “Ok, today I am going to study?” Does it happen? Do you have the self discipline? Or does life crowd in on your study time?
- Have you explored test taking strategies, and have you worked on developing them?
Since I began working with Internationally Educated Professionals I started using a phrase:
“If what you are doing is not getting you to where you want to be; then, do something different!”
What are the benefits of a coach?
- Motivation ~ Quality coaches are behind every successful athlete. That is what I learned from 5 Gold Olympic Medalists
- Quality Training ~ One could have a good coach, but if there is not quality training, with adequate preparation and dedication, no one goes anywhere! Quality training, with ample opportunity to practice, is what allows someone to acquire a skill and demonstrate it masterfully. Because the CELBAN is all about assessing skills, the same goes for an athlete and an IEN.
- Scheduled Events ~ Unless you are skilled at motivating yourself, and managing your time so that life does not crowd in on you, making time to study can be a challenge. Scheduled events add motivation to actually do something. Knowing you will be working with and meeting others preparing for the exam also provides an added impetus to overcome inertia and apathy and come. Mind you, it is still your decision about whether you are going to attend or not, but if you are paying for it, are you really going to skip out?
- Test Taking Strategies ~ CELBANPrep is multi-facetted: one one side it is about English; on another side it is about professional communication; yet on another side it is about preparing you for your life as a nurse in Canada. CELBANPrep isn’t just about English! It is about so much more!
So, now that we have explores a few aspects of your options, what are your thoughts?
The answer to your question is the reason why CELBANPrep 2018/2020 includes sections, tips, and guidance to professionals that are assisting IENs in preparing for the CELBAN.
The answer to your question is the reason why the CELBAN or IELTS: Grammar Essentials has an entire suite of resources for facilitators.
The Student Version of CELBAN or IELTS: Grammar Essentials includes:
- a Student Workbook, and
- a Kindle Print Replica E-book containing the teaching videos
- (both sold separately through Amazon).
The Facilitator Version includes:
- a Facilitator Guide,
- a Slide Deck for presentations,
- a final exam, and
- a poster collection for the classroom.
Actually these resources are available to anyone who wants to buy them.
What that means is that even if you hire a coach or tutor or mentor that is not familiar with the CELBAN and the CELBANPrep Method, they can still provide informed and quality instruction. (This is especially good for people living outside of Canada or in some of the smaller communities within Canada.)
It also means that you could start your own study group. Actually, when I first started preparing IENs for the CELBAN, when I was working at an employment agency, we had a lot of peer led study groups that were highly successful. People who had taken various licensure exams took on teaching, mentoring and facilitating roles. They assisted people who were new to the process learn how to access resources, and they acted as a guide throughout the process.
This post is part of our CELBAN or IELTS Blog Series: Part III
Follow us on Dear Kim or Facebook (@CELBANPrep) for
updates, information, sales and other offers!